Too many friends




If I could give it all away, would it come back to me someday?
Like a needle in the hay, or an expansive stone
I've got a reason to declaim,
Applications are to blame, for all my sorrow,
My pain, feeling so alone

I've got too many friends too many people
That I ll never meet, I'll never be there for
I'll never be there for, 'cause I'll never be there…


I remember the times when I went for a drink, or a dinner, or whatever with someone, and it was just us. There, in that moment. Two of us, three of us or the whole gang. But it was just us. And when I traveled with someone for a weekend or a week, I was “stuck” with that person (or those people) during the whole trip. We had just each other, and eventually the people we’d met on the way.
And it was so fucking good! Even during huge moments of silence or pure boredom, there were no distractions. 

Oh, how much I miss those liberating moments of pure boredom...
So when the fuck all that went to hell? 

When did we became so sick of each other that we can't spend more than a fucking hour (at best) giving our undivided attention to the person next to us? But we have to seek for other people on our phones.
And it doesn’t matter who with we are, we’ll always seek for something or someone else. 

Is it really that easier to communicate trough that little screen then the real flesh and blood breathing next to us? 

Of course, it’s not all bad. Sometimes you really have an important call or message that you have to respond. Or just check if it is important. I can understand that. And I can understand the impulse to check your phone when it makes a noise, I really do.
But when I see my girlfriend taking her phone just to check her Instagram feed while I am an inch (if that) away from her, I can’t help but think: “My god, I must be boring as hell.”.

And what the fuck is Instagram anyway? I mean, I’m using it, for years. On an almost daily basis. And I still don’t get the point. Other than vanity, maybe?
I really don’t know and I would appreciate the feedback.

So next time when you’re with someone you love, like, or dear to you. Try to really be with them. Even if those moments of silence. You can find out more about a person in a couple of minutes of silence than hours of conversation. Appreciate that. And appreciate the person next/in front of you. They won’t be here forever. 

And if you’re missing someone else, go on and meet with them. Or call them, when you’re free. And then give them your undivided attention.

Try to enjoy the real thing, not some onscreen projection. A mirage that doesn’t really exist.
The grass isn’t always greener on the other side, so stop and smell the fucking roses!
You might just like it. I know you will.
And that goes for me as well. 


Comments

Popular Posts